Each of us at least once has faced the sad situation when a spill or stain occurred on the couch. Somebody accidentally spilled wine or sauce on the upholstery or your pet jumped up with dirty paws. In that moment, a thousand thoughts may chaotically move in your head, especially if the sofa is light colored. However, you don’t have time to panic. If you want to save your sofa you have no time to lose. We collected popular advice related to sofa washing and want to share it with you.
The best advice is to use fabric protector sprays, for example, Nasiol fabric waterproof coating. Using this product will protect your furniture fabric from all types of stains, even ones such as wine and blood. Preventive action is great, but what to do if wine has been already spilled?
A Few Tips on How to Save and Clean a Couch
- Get to cleaning as quickly as possible. As soon as a spill or stain occurs, you should start sofa washing immediately. Every minute is essential in this case. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to remove the stain.
- Always check what is written on the sofa tag. Before getting to sofa washing, read recommendations from the manufacturer. By using wrong detergents, you can accidentally further aggravate the situation and permanently damage your fabric upholstery.
- What do cleaning codes mean? If you look at the sofa’s tag you will see abbreviations which probably tell you nothing.
W – water-based cleaners. It means that you have to use only those cleaning products which are water-based otherwise you can damage the upholstery.
S/W – solvents- and water-based cleaners. It means you can use both types of cleaners, and not be afraid that you may spoil the sofa.
S – solvents. This letter on the tag means you should use only solvents-based detergents.
- How to clean a couch if you don’t have any special cleaner? Maybe you will be surprised, but such cleaner is in every kitchen, and it’s baking soda. Mix equal parts of soda and water, cover stains with the received foam, and leave it on for half an hour. After this vacuum the area. Baking soda absorbs particles of stains and cleans up the surface of the upholstery.
- Test detergent on a small area before fully covering. Even if you use a recommended agent for sofa washing, you should ensure that it brings the result which you expect. We recommend testing a small area before proceeding, and this is applicable no matter what type of detergent you are going to use—W, S/W, or S.
These simple tips help you to basically clean your sofa. However, even the best cleaners can’t guarantee 100% results. As we said earlier, the use of nano waterproof coating is the best fabric protector for furniture, and will make the issue of stains disappear forever.